Monday 30 November 2015

Rudai 22 - Mobile Things

Rudai 22 - Mobile Things

I am afraid I am one of the 10% (there must be more than that) out of the net when it comes to smart/android phones - calls and texts only phone for me! - but Christmas is coming  - I cannot call myself an information professional without having all the tools now can I!! So I am delighted to see 23 mobile things course and look forward to the learning experience in the New Year - could not have come at a better time.  I am getting tired of people showing me this app and that app on their mobiles - I will be doing the showing off from now on! Thanks Rudai team.

Looked at Gumit - not too sure how it would work in an academic library - are the students going to leave useful comments on the books? They mostly just skim and scan educational books for pieces of information. From the blog post in Library Voice I can see how it would work well in a school library - kids love to give their opinions - teachers like to hear them - shows they are reading.

Beacon technology - again not sure if it would suit our library - too much footfall coming in the door  - we try hard enough to keep the noise levels down without mobiles constantly beeping - maybe some other time to message them - on the way out would work? It is an excellent messaging idea for libraries though - some people might find it a bit invasive - you would have to trial it first I think.

One app that I saw that I really liked for the library was in Rudai 14 - LibrARi - when you scanned the barcode in the library and it gave you a list of all related books that was really good and the ability to walk around scan and find a book on the shelf with your mobile or iPad would be marvellous.

Blogging out,

Catty.

No comments:

Post a Comment